Sunday, July 31, 2011

China Glaze Blue Sparrow

Blue Sparrow was originally released in the Summer 2008 Ink collection and is part of the core line at Sally's now (and I'd imagine elsewhere, such as Ulta). Blue Sparrow is a bright blue neon packed full of very fine blue glitter.

Lightbox with direct light

Blue Sparrow has the typical neon formula that dries very fast and with a sort of semi-matte finish. Because of the glitter, this one also dries gritty. What you see here is three coats of Blue Sparrow topped with two coats of Pro FX Quick Dry top coat.

Lightbox with direct light

Funny thing about Blue Sparrow is I actually bought it right after I started to collect polish, and I had no experience with neons at all. I dismissed the formula as horrible and gave it away. It's been kind of haunting me ever since, and I decided to go ahead and re-buy it and give it another shot.

Sunshine

It turns out that a year of practice with every kind of difficult formula under the sun did indeed fix what ailed Blue Sparrow. It was user error all along. 

Lightbox with direct light


As with most neons (and mattes and holos), I found working fast to be a must. The formula is a little on the watery side, so it took some getting used to. But I have to say that for the effect this polish gives, it was totally worth it.

Sunshine

Sunshine

Sunshine

Sunshine Macro!

As always, thanks for stopping by! I'm hoping to break 100 followers this week and start my giveaway, so keep an eye out. =) Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I almost bought this the other day! *kicks self*

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Miss Blue Thank you so much! =)

    @ReecesPeeces Don't kick yourself, Reece. At least it's easy to find! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beauty! Of course top coat is a must. I can't stand the grit. I really love it over something dark too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @loodie Oh yeah, I'm never without top coat anyway, but I cannot bear the feel of gritty nails! I wouldn't have thought to layer this one, must try that! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this at Sally's a few weeks ago and wondered why I'd not heard anything about it. Thanks for the swatches - I might go back and pick it up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Theomanic Yeah, it's one of those little China Glaze treasures that doesn't get all that much attention for some reason. You should totally go back and grab it! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! ♥ Please be respectful and don't spam my comments with links. Thank you!